Yup, I am completely and wholly Mad about Marfy. The fit! The cut! I'm a huge fan of the swooping circular neckline - it hugs your decolletage and doesn't even undo your modesty when you need to bend (or slouch) - and how the shoulders are ever so slightly 'off' the shoulder.
Made from a beautiful oak green silk charmeuse that was rescued from the remnant bin at Tessuti. It was indeed tricksy to work with, but it feels so luscious that I feel like a million bucks just putting the thing on.
Actually, this is a surprisingly simple top, which came together in very short space of time (over two evenings) - once of course, I'd figured out what the markings on the pattern meant. That did take a while, and included a bit of seam-ripping on my first time around that mulberry bush. Thank goodness for toiles!
After that, it was delightfully simple to finish off - sew together the shoulders, sew the facing around the neck and arms, then the side seams last. Really very quick to put together - I promise! I finished my seams off with some cream rayon seam binding.
This is the first time I've tackled a slippery silk that was destined for outer wear, rather than being hidden away as lining. Just the thought of cutting out silk gives me chills, but no longer. My beau bought me an incredible invention for Christmas - one of those nifty self-healing cutting mats and a rotary cutter! Oh, I'm in heaven. It's SO much faster, more accurate, no more hand cramps, and once you've got your silk weighted down, it can't slip'n'slide anywhere. I still use a sharp little pair of embroidery scissors when it comes to concave corners, but otherwise, I'm hailing it as the best invention EVER. Well, since the sewing machine, anyway.
To avoid the task of hemming, I finished it off with some of the charmeuse in reverse, giving a lovely contrast between matt and shiny (which is surprisingly difficult to catch on camera). This conveniently averted my absolute loathing of hemming, and avoided any stitches on top of the silk.
For those of you who are curious about Marfy patterns, I say go for it - this has been such a positive sewing experience for me (only one tiny alteration - taking in the side seams 0.5cm both sides) that I'll definitely be buying some more of their patterns. In fact, I've got a cup of tea handy and I'm about to head over to their website. If you'd like more information on measurements and the amount of ease, you can see my post on my toile of this top here. If you're planning on making this at all - I ended up using about 1.1m of fabric that was 1.35cm wide, for the size 46 pattern.
Now, I'm off to finish my tea, peruse some patterns and enjoy the leftover Australia Day Lamingtons made by the super talented Mr poppykettle...